This September, get ready to "Step Up!" for people with disabilities!
From September 1st through 28th, United Cerebral Palsy of South Carolina will participate in STEPtember, a worldwide movement to promote active and healthy lifestyles for people of all ages and abilities while raising funds to help support people with disabilities.
Getting involved is easy!
1. Find 3 friends, family members, co-workers, neighbors, gym buddies, church members (you get the idea!) and commit to taking 10,000 steps every single day. That's the equivalent of virtually climbing the highest peak on every continent! Not bad for a month's legwork! If 10,000 steps seems like a piece of cake, ramp up the goal as the days fly by. And it doesn’t have to be just walking or jogging - over 70 different types of physical activities (swimming, biking, mountain climbing) can be converted into steps on the STEPtember website, including activities for people with disabilities!
2. Register your team online at http://www.steptember.us/. You can sign up as late as July 25th thru the end of August!
3. After you’ve set your individual and team goals, talk to those around you. Let them know that you’re going to be moving your body all month long for a good cause. Ask them to pledge to motivate you to achieve your goal. Funds you’re able to raise will help support UCP and the individuals we serve. If they’d rather donate directly, they can visit the website (http://www.steptember.us/), click on “Donate” and search by individual participant, team name or UCP affiliate. Every single day, UCP helps people with disabilities live a Life Without Limits – and you play a big role in making that happen!
4. On September 1st, start tracking your daily step count (or equivalent activity) using a fitness tracker, smartphone app, or the pedometer (sent directly to you when you complete #2!). Don’t forget to go online and record your activity each day!
5. UCP will hold several Saturday walks throughout STEPtember where the teams can meet up and walk together. Locations, dates and times for these will be posted on ucpsc.org and to UCPSC Facebook page.
STEPtember is a great way to increase physical fitness as well as awareness and support for UCP of South Carolina! Please join us for STEPtember and get moving for healthy and active lifestyles for people of all ages and abilities!