This September, get ready to "Step Up!" for people with disabilities!
From September 1st through 28th, United Cerebral Palsy of South Carolina will participate in STEPtember, a worldwide movement to promote active and healthy lifestyles for people of all ages and abilities while raising funds to help support people with disabilities.
Getting involved is easy!
1. Find 3 friends, family members, co-workers, neighbors, gym buddies, church members (you get the idea!) and commit to taking 10,000 steps every single day. That's the equivalent of virtually climbing the highest peak on every continent! Not bad for a month's legwork! If 10,000 steps seems like a piece of cake, ramp up the goal as the days fly by. And it doesn’t have to be just walking or jogging - over 70 different types of physical activities (swimming, biking, mountain climbing) can be converted into steps on the STEPtember website, including activities for people with disabilities!
2. Register your team online at http://www.steptember.us/. You can sign up as late as July 25th thru the end of August! There are two registration options. The first one allows you to register your whole team for free. With this option, each team member will use their own smartphone, pedometer, or fitness tracker to track and log their steps, and each team member will agree to a $100 minimum fundraising commitment (you won't be charged until after STEPtember). The second option requires a $30 registration fee for each team member; however, there is no minimum fundraising commitment with this option and each team member will be provided with a STEPtember pedometer.
3. After you’ve set your individual and team goals, talk to those around you. Let them know that you’re going to be moving your body all month long for a good cause. Ask them to pledge to motivate you to achieve your goal. Funds you’re able to raise will help support UCP and the individuals we serve. To donate, just ask them to visit the website (http://www.steptember.us/), click on “Donate” and search by individual participant, team name or UCP of South Carolina. Every single day, UCP helps people with disabilities live a Life Without Limits – and you play a big role in making that happen!
4. On September 1st, start tracking your daily step count (or equivalent activity) using a fitness tracker, smartphone app, or pedometer. Don’t forget to go online and record your activity each day!
5. UCP will hold several Saturday walks throughout STEPtember where the teams can meet up and walk together. Locations, dates and times for these will be posted on ucpsc.org and to UCPSC Facebook page.
STEPtember is a great way to increase physical fitness as well as awareness and support for UCP of South Carolina! Please join us for STEPtember and get moving for healthy and active lifestyles for people of all ages and abilities!